10.13.2008

Suprising Saigon Palace

So, sometimes it's hard to believe that there is good ethnic food outside of major metropolitan areas. Saigon Palace is one of those surprises. Not only is it not in a major metropolitan area, it's not even in Annapolis. It's actually out in Edgewater on Mayo Road. I've been there several times, and I'm always happy with it. Our last visit was this past Saturday. It appears that Saigon Palace rearranged its menu from the last time we were there. I can't swear to it, but I think that they did. The menu is extensive and provides good explanations of the dishes and their genres. I think that the prices may have increased slightly from the last time as well. I appreciate the menu because it is an all Vietnamese menu -- not a pan-Asian menu or one that offers dishes from other countries, and therefore seems more authentic (at least to me). We ordered beef pho (large) and a vermicelli noodle salad (#39), which had grilled chicken, beef, pork, and shrimp. It also came with a spring roll and fresh carrot, cucumber, and bean sprouts. It's absolutely delicious! The pho was ok, but not as flavorful as the pho at Viet Thai on Riva Road. The noodles were a bit clumpy. The service is good too. It includes a hot towel at the end of the meal, and some orange slices. I'd definitely go back!

No comments: