10.25.2008

PS 7's

I went to PS 7's (http://www.ps7restaurant.com/, 777 I Street NW) for lunch the other day. I liked the sleek and modern atmosphere. I was also a big fan of the bathroom. Its walls are embedded with glass spheres containing live fish, and the sinks are made of a clear matte material and lit underneath so that they look like they are glowing. While the atmosphere was a little cooler than the food, in my opinion, lunch was a nice dining experience. It was priced very reasonably for a DC finer dining establishment. PS 7's offers a prix fixe menu (3 course) for a low $20. I selected the pumpkin soup, the hot brown, and mini doughnuts for dessert. The pumpkin soup was warm and comforting and garnished with pumpkin seeds. It was good, standard pumpkin soup. Nothing too inventive, but serviceable. The same goes for the hot brown -- turkey on bread with bacon, tomatoes, and mornay. It was tasty, but I would have liked the bread to be a bit thicker. It was about a quarter-inch thick and blended in with the turkey, especially soaked in the sauce. Dessert for me was disappointing. Since I've tasted the beignets from Cafe du Monde, I've had really high standards for doughnuts. They shouldn't be that hard to do. However, the doughnuts weren't really hot and were doughy and tough -- perhaps undercooked, in the middle. I only ate part of one. Let's not forget the coffee. PS 7's serves it in a French press, as a lot of restaurants are starting to do. I have some reservations about the French press. For one, when I make it at home, the coffee is never hot enough for my liking. PS 7's didn't have that problem. The coffee was scalding (in a good way). A tad bitter with some grounds that made it through, but otherwise ok. Would I go back? Probably yes for the prix fixe menu that doesn't depend on restaurant week.

No comments: