10.31.2008

Fondue Monopoly

I went to the Annapolis Melting Pot (http://www.meltingpot.com/) because my friend AZ had a giftcard, which we happily discovered was worth $75. Fondue is fun, but I wish that I could try it somewhere other than the Melting Pot or at home. While the Melting Pot changes its menu up, and the food is fine, it would be interesting to see what a different and probably more authentic take on it would be. I've seen other fondue restaurants in Denver and Quebec, but unfortunately didn't get the chance to go. Here are my main gripes with the Annapolis Melting Pot. First, the ventilation is horrible. I wreak when I leave, and steam was constantly blowing in my face. The Melting Pot should seriously consider installing hoods at each table. Second, I think that it woud be nice if fondue restaurants provided timers if people want them so that they can more thoroughly monitor cooking times. We ordered the Wisconsin trio cheese fondue, Southwest Cobb Salad (a bit bland and too icebergy), the signature selection (two types of beef, shrimp, chicken, and salmon) cooked mojo style (think citrus), and the Oreo fondue. The mojo cooking style is my favorite to date, but costs an extra $5. As always, the chocolate was excellent! The Melting Pot shined in the beverage category. No, I'm not talking about anything as unimportant as cocktails. I'm referring to the coffee. I asked the server if it was good, and she gave it a ringing endorsement as a regular coffee drinker. She was pretty right on. It had that restauranty twinge, but otherwise was pretty good. It was nice and strong without tasting bitter or burnt, and tasted as if it had been brewed in a clean coffee maker. Here's to hoping that the Melting Pot gets a competitor!

No comments: