10.20.2008

Jackie's Restaurant

We went to Jackie's Restaurant, 8081 Georgia AveSilver Spring, MD 20910, this past Friday for a friend's birthday dinner. Jackie's is a fun place. The decor and lighting are unique, and I loved that we were able to see right into the kitchen. The restaurant sported cool booths with some of the most interesting and funky upholstery that I have seen and nice seating areas for large groups. The bar looked like a lot of fun as well. Jackie herself approached our party and asked who the birthday celebrant was and personally said happy birthday to him. It was a nice touch. Unfortunately, I didn't try the coffee. Jackie's serves Mayorga, though, for anyone who wants to know. That's all I can say about the coffee, because I would have needed to taste it to see if the restaurant brews it properly. I didn't order coffee, even for the sake of the blog, because I've been sick and thought coffee might upset my stomach. I had a sip of a Jackie-tini (I think that's what it was called), and it was very sweet and fruity -- not that alcoholic tasting. As for food, we started off with the arugula salad. It was tasty. It was topped with goat cheese, roasted red peppers, and grilled (I think) pears. The dressing was excellent, although it may not be to everyone's liking. It was a spicy balsamic vinaigrette. While I like spicy food (especially if it makes me cry), a lot of people don't and could be thrown for a loop by the dressing. It wasn't exceptionally spicy, but would be to people who can't handle their spice. The table also got bread. Mind you, you have to ask for it, as the menu specifies that a basket of corn muffins and biscuits is available upon request. We requested it, and received baskets of corn muffins. They had a nice, sweet, buttery taste, but were a bit too dense or dry for my taste. They stuck to the roof of my mouth. It also took a long time for the server to get the bread to the table. For the main course, I ordered the pan-roasted cobia. Cobia is a flaky white fish. To be honest, I wasn't crazy about it. Having never before ordered cobia, I wasn't sure if I just don't like that type of fish, or if it could have been prepared better. It tasted a bit too fishy for my liking. However, it came with a delicious sauce, which I think was ginger and sesame based, bok choy, and an excellent mushroom and sweet potato tempura. My husband ordered the hanger steak, which was accompanied by fries and green beans. I had a bite of the steak, and it was excellent. I can't speak personally to the fries and the beans, but was told that both were good. Since I had been sick and my appetite was down, I didn't try dessert. Overall, it was a fun dining experience, and I would definitely return to taste the other menu offerings, and of course, the coffee and dessert.

No comments: