10.29.2008

Darlington House: A Restoration of Faith

A bit dramatic for a restaurant, yes? Not really. Here's some background. I was reviewing my previous restaurant postings and was beginning to think that I was becoming one of those food snobs who is never pleased with anything. I realized that a lot of what I had to say about restaurants was negative. Heck! The whole reason I started the blog was that I was ticked about bad food and thought, "Hey, I should write about it." The trend as of late in my take on different dining experiences was that the food I was eating was ok, but nothing outstanding. It made me wonder if I had unrealistic expectations for food and if I was taking good food for granted. Eating at Darlington House (http://www.darlingtonhousedc.com/) erased those concerns. It was one of the best meals that I have ever had in DC. I went to DH for the five-course Tasting Journal dinner, which was paired with wine. The first course was a tasty arugula salad with a lemon vinaigrette. The next course was a large pan-seared scallop that was expertly cooked. I bit into it and was wowed. The outside had the perfect level of peppery crustiness, and the scallop was a perfect, hot temperature. The accompanying sauce complimented it wonderfully. The main course was roasted Alaskan halibut. It was to die for. Like the scallop, it was cooked perfectly, and the flavor was wonderful. It was accompanied by cauliflower and fried shallots. I have never had cauliflower cooked so tastily. It was cooked, but still firm and lightly roasty (if that's a word). That, in combination with the breaded and fried shallots was amazing. My only gripes (which are small) are about the soup, dessert, and service. The soup course was a creamless butternut squash soup with amaretto cookie crumbles. The soup itself was yummy, but the cookie crumbles made it look a like barf. The amaretto was a bit too strong for the soup. For dessert, I ordered a banana whoopie pie (rum raisin ice cream sandwiched by banana cookies -- sounds weird, but believe me, the flavors compliment each other perfectly); it was so hard that I couldn't break it apart with silverware. It came with a shot glass of milk, and LP, my dining companion suggested that I pour the milk on the pie. It helped a lot, but I feel like it was counterintuitive and still am not sure if I should have poured the milk on. I feel like the server should explain... The service was very slow at times. It took the server forever to get to our table, and he didn't bring the wine pairing for the main course until we were halfway through it. A food runner from kitchen brought dessert, and our server never stopped by to ask if we wanted coffee. Alas. On a parting and out of order note, we each got a glass of prosecco (sparkling white), which was tasty, and the atmosphere was warm and laid back.

No comments: