12.28.2008

I'm a Douglasite! Part II: Palace Kitchen...arguably the best meal of my life

So, Palace Kitchen (http://www.tomdouglas.com/palace/index.html). There's so much to say about it. Again, as noted in the title of this post, it may have given me the best dining experience of my life, which is saying a lot, because I have eaten out a lot and all over the place. What I love about Palace Kitchen is that it breaks the mold. It's known for having one of the best burgers in Seattle, but at the same time, features food that could be served in a fine dining establishment. You can go there in jeans and order gourmet food, like goat cheese and lavendar fondue and no one will look at you funny. It has a huge horseshoe-shaped bar, and offers some great cocktails. I highly recommend the French Kiss. I can't remember what was in it (maybe an elderflower liqueur and pear?), but it was nice and tasty. Also, the decor gives gives off a hip and relaxing vibe. The walls are dark and feature huge oil paintings but in a decidedly non-stuffy way. If you don't want to read any further, here's the brief synopsis. This is how good the food was. I ate this meal over a month ago and still remember most of the details as I ate there this morning. Everything we ordered was good. Definitely try the goat cheese fondue and anything from the applewood grill. To make things easier, I'll go in chronological order. The bread was fresh and crispy on the outside. It was served with olive oil. To spice it up a bit, we added salt, which we ground ourselves in the mill that was on the table. For appetizers, we ordered the dungeness crab and the goat cheese fondue. The crab was amazing. It came in an interesting thick-walled silver bowl and was accompanied by a caper butter sauce with lemon. The flavors complimented each other swimmingly. The goat cheese and lavendar fondue was to die for. The texture was perfect. It was light and foamy instead of thick and gelatinous, like a lot of cheese fondues can be. We only ordered one entree because our server advised us that we could split an entree and have more than enough to eat. She recommended the chicken. Usually, I'm anti-chicken, because I think that it's boring. This chicken was the least boring, or should I say most exciting, that I have ever tasted. It was cooked on an applewood grill. As a matter of fact, at the far end of the bar, you can actually see the big pile of applewood that the restaurant uses. Our server told us that the chicken is brined overnight. It was flavorful and had a wonderfully crispy skin and came with mashed potatoes and kale (which I could have done without). We ordered cocount cream pie for dessert. Even though I had eaten it at Etta's, I indulged my friend who wanted to try it. As much as I appreciate trying new things, I didn't mind ordering the coconut cream pie again. I can't wait to try the rest of the Tom Douglas restaurants! On a parting shot, the menus at both Etta's and Palace Kitchen change daily -- even the cocktails, to account for fresh and seasonal ingredients.

No comments: