12.14.2008

I'm a Douglasite! Part I: Meet the Chef and Etta's

What's a Douglasite, you ask? Well, it hearkens back to my trip to Seattle, where I had two of the coolest dining experiences EVER!!! I happened to be lucky enough to meet Eric Tanaka, the executive chef of Tom Douglas's Seattle restaurants. His girlfriend accompanied us to lunch at Etta's Seafood in Pike's Place Market (http://www.tomdouglas.com/ettas/index.html). For someone who appreciates food as much as I do, it was super exciting to meet an executive chef of any restaurant, let alone someone who has won a James Beard award and appeared on Iron Chef. Eric came and sat at our table for awhile and was kind enough to answer all of our random questions about food, like: What cookbooks do you use? Where do you find inspiration? How did you become executive chef of a restaurant even though you didn't go to culinary school? And so many more. So now, the food. Granted, it's been awhile, but the high points have been seared into my brain. As I mentioned before, we went to Etta's and a few nights later, I went to Palace Kitchen. Both were excellent, and I think that I might have had the best meal of my life at Palace Kitchen. (More on that in part II) At Etta's, we had a bunch of appetizers: spring rolls, dungeness crab cocktail, and a tuna salad. It's too bad that I can't remember more details (it's hard enough for me to remember what we ordered) but all were excellent with unique twists. I can't remember being disappointed by anything. I ordered the crab cakes, which were good, and other people in my party ordered wild salmon cakes and a seafood soup (can't remember if it was pho or curried). I sampled all and would have ordered any of them, even the salmon cakes, which is surprising for me because I generally don't like salmon at all. Apparently, wild salmon tastes a lot different from farm-raised. We had a caramel apple concoction and a cocount cream pie for dessert, both of which were amazing. I was told that the pie crust is a point of pride for the restaurant, and it didn't disappoint. And the cherry on top? The coffee was GREAT! Of course, we were in Seattle, but still... I would definitely go back and highly recommend Etta's to anyone who wants to go to Seattle and eat some good seafood.

No comments: