12.07.2009

HomeGoods? Home Great!

I was in the market for enameled cast iron cookware. I went to Williams-Sonoma and looked at Le Creuset, but just couldn't spring for it so close to Christmas. I decided to go to the Waugh Chapel HomeGoods to check out what it had since I had seen enameled cookware there before. It had a good selection -- several different brands, including Le Creuset at discounted prices; the Le Creuset cookware were "seconds," which to me, meant that there may have been something substandard about it. I decided not to get it since it was still three times more expensive than the Oster pot that I bought. But the real highlight was the cooking oil! I really like walnut oil. It's great for salad dressing. I bought a 33 oz. bottle by La Tourangelle (the same brand sold in Williams-Sonoma and grocery stores) for $9.99, which is a steal since a bottle half the size costs about the same if not more in some grocery and specialty stores. I also found some Mexican vanilla, which was pretty reasonably priced, and saw a big selection of balsamic vinegars. From now on, I'm going to get that sort of thing at HomeGoods and save myself a few bucks.

No comments: