3.07.2008

Good Groceries

As I mentioned in the inaugural post, I am doing grocery reviews and recommendations as well as restaurant reviews. Here is my inaugural posting about groceries..... Loving food is a struggle when you are trying to eat healthy. I'm always looking for low fat or low calorie food that actually tastes good. My theory is that eating low calorie food is not worth it if you can't enjoy it. Why put the fat and calories in your body from health food if it tastes nasty? The foods described below are not only okay diet-wise, but are worth eating. I've found a great product -- Fage Greek yogurt with fruit. One of my co-workers was eating it, and I was intrigued and wanted to try it. Fage offers regular and 2% versions. While the carton has 12 grams of fat per pack, the 2% has only 2.5 grams of fat. I have only tried the peach variety and it is very peachy. The yogurt is packaged so that the fruit has to be mixed in at the time of consumption. I also like the texture of the yogurt -- not gloppy, but smoothe and creamy. Very yummy and a great breakfast if you are eating on the run. It keeps me relatively full until lunch, which is saying something because I get hungry a lot.

Another yummy snack is lowfat Boursin on top of Mr. Krispers Sea Salt & Pepper Baked Rice Crisps. Yes, I know that the full-fat version is tastier, but it's hard to come by a good cheesespread that won't clog your arteries. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the exact nutritional value on the Boursin, but I think that you could eat an entire tub and only consumer 20 grams of fat (which is an estimate on the high-end). You could consume 37 rice chips and only intake 3 grams of fat and 120 calories. Not bad, eh? The rice chips are made from brown rice, so it's a nice source of whole grains.

And for the last good low cal food in this posting: Kudos 100 calorie granola bars. I was actually trolling Sam's Club looking for the full-fat unhealthy version, but all I could find were the 100 calorie bars. I bought them anyways, because I am a candy bar fanatic and needed a good chocolate fix to prevent the 4 o'clock trip to the vending machine. I was pleasantly surprised. For 100 calories, I can eat a granola bar (even if it is a bit small) with the bottom coated in chocolate and either peanutbutter, m&ms or snickers mixed throughout. It is almost as good as a candy bar and way healthier.

Go enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as granola bar snacks go - I like to eat the balance bar 100 calarie bars...they tend to have more nutrients than your average granola bar and also some protein, which keeps you fuller longer. And they're tasty too!